PG16: Obesity, Nutrition and Fertility
MP3 AUDIO, DOWNLOAD ONLY
Jorge F. Chavarro, M.D., Sc.D. (Chair), Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School
Emily S. Jungheim, M.D., M.S.C.I., Washington University School of Medicine
Kelle H. Moley, M.D., Washington University School of Medicine
Judy Simon, M.S., R.D., C.D., C.H.E.S., University of Washington and Mind Body Nutrition, PLLC
Developed in Cooperation with NutriSIG and SREI
NEEDS ASSESSMENT AND COURSE DESCRIPTION
In this course, fertility care providers will learn about the role that diet composition has on fertility and infertility treatment outcomes as well as the role of a dietitian and how to address weight management issues in the care of fertility patients.
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Describe the impact of obesity and its related metabolic effects on reproductive function, including pubertal development, gametogenesis, embryo development, early pregnancy outcomes, and obstetric outcomes.
- Describe the role of diet composition on infertility and fertility treatment outcomes.
- Discuss the competing risks of obesity and age in the fertility patient.
- Explain the role of weight management and medical nutrition therapy on the care of fertility patients.
- Identify the role of the Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist in the care of fertility patients.